Gurzuf.

Gurzuf («mountain valley») is a picturesque Crimean scenery which is situated 16 kilometers to the east of Yalta.

The first written reference about Gurzuf occurs in the writings of the Byzantine writer Procopius (500-562) who lived at the time of the emperor Justinian I (483-565). Procopius writes about the construction of a Byzantine fortress «in the district of Gurzovit».

In the 8th century, the fortress had grown in size and soon was surrounded by a second ring of fortification. Though the fortress was destroyed by Khazars, by the middle of the 12th century it was rebuilt again. The Arab geographer al-ldrisi was able to write about the «flourishing town» of Garzuni. The town was destroyed and changed hands so often that by the end of the 15th century it had become a small village.

At the beginning of the 19thcentury Gurzuf became the property of the Novorossiysk governor-general, the duke de Richelieu (1766-1822).

Read more »

Massandra.

Massandra is situated 3 kilometers far to the East from Yalta.

The high hills of Nikita mountain pasture, the highest point of Mauntin Avinda is 1473 meters, protect Massandra from the cold air from the North and the southern winds bring the fresh breath of the Black sea. The Massandra park is one of the most beautiful parks of the Southern Coast. It was laid in the 1840 by the German horticulturist Kari Kebach, he was the founder of the Alupka park as well. The park was laid out by the serf labour of the peasants brought by Count Vorontsov from all the provinces of Russia. There are more than 200 tree and bush species grow in the Massandra park on its 40 hectares nowadays. The park was planned in the English style with curvilinear paths and picturesque groups of trees.

Read more »

Yalta («Coast»)

Yalta («Coast») stretches along the coast of a sea bay on the slope of the Main Ridge of the Crimean Mountains. In ancient times the Greek settlement of Jalita existed on this territory. In the Middle Ages there was the Byzantine and Genoese settlement, they named it as Kaulita.

In 1837 it was turned into a district city which began to be developed according to the 1843 plan.

At the end of the 19th century Yalta has a rapid growth, and the development of valleys of the Derekoika and the Uchan-Su Rivers.

Now it is a significant resort and cultural centre whose boundaries widened thanks to multistory housing developments on the adjoining slopes. The city territory incorporates land from the mount Ayu-dag to the Sarych Cape.

Greater Yalta is a 70-km stretch of the South Crimean coast washed by the Black Sea. The mount Ayu-dag (“Mount Bear”) is a kind of signpost to Greater Yalta. Farther on the highway goes past Gurzuf, the Nikita Botanical Gardens and Massandra.

The resorts and sights of interest located to the west are Livadia, Oreanda, Gaspra, Koreiz, Miskhor, Alupka and Simeiz

A snow-white city lies inside the enormous shell formed by a semicircle of mountains. Yalta is beautiful in her mountain setting, she is open only to the sea and the sun.

The cypresses with cones like little bells have already become a symbol of the resort. Magnificent magnolia trees fill the air with their perfume… And the sea adds the finishing touch to all this beauty. Once you arrive in Yalta you will fall in love with it!

We suggest you begin your walking tour of Yalta with an itinerary that might be called Along the City’s Streets, that is from the Yalta Hotel to the Oreanda. Its length is about 3 kilometers.

The Yalta Hotel is situated near Massandra Park. Massandra Beach stretches from the Yalta

Hotel to the port. At the intersection of streets stands Primorskiy Hotel (“Sea-coast Hotel”), one of the oldest in Yalta.

From here you can walk down to the port, in the other direction a small street leads uphill from the Hotel to Polikur Hill. Here is where Yalta originated, witness is the very name Polikur (“Paleokhor”), which in Greek language means «Old Place». The Hill formerly bore the name of St. John.

Yalta is the only port on the Crimea’s southern shore which can safely shelter ships in a storm. The talented engineer A.Bertier — Delagarde supervised the construction of the Yalta mole in 1889-1892.

Near the port there is the Yuzhnaya Hotel (“Southern Hotel”) which stands on Roosevelt Street. It is the oldest street in the city and was given its present name in honour of the outstanding statesman US President Franklin Roosevelt (1882-1945), who visited Yalta in February 1945.

Yalta‘s main street is the Embankment. It is favorite avenue of holiday makers for their even strolls. The Embankment te lined with shops, cafes, and restaurants. There is the oldest Tavrida Hotel, that was built in 1875. The great Russian poet Nickolai Nekrasov lived in Tavrida Hotel in room 68. He wrote the part of his long poem «Who Can Be Happy in Russia?» in Yalta.

If you cross the Hotel Tavrida’s courtyard, you will find yourself next to the boarding platform for the cable-car line which leads to the top of Darsan Hill. There is the Mound of Glory, erected in memory of the fallen during the Civil and Great Patriotic Wars.

If you walk past it, you will again come out into the Embankment. Soon you will reach the quays where the pleasure boats dock. Here you can embark on an excursion to the towns of the Greater Yalta: Alupka, Miskhor, Simeiz…

Ahead lies the second half of the Embankment. The Municipal Park, which merges with it, was established in the 1880s. There is the monument to the great Russian writer Anton Chekhov near Municipal Drama Theatre.

In 1900 the Moscow Art Theatre gave tour performances. The members of the company came to show the sick Chekhov his play «The Seagull». Chekhov was presented with palm leaves tied with a red ribbon bearing the inscription «To Anton Chekhov, a perfect interpreter of Russian reality.»

The great Russian singer Fyodor Chaliapin (1873-1838) sang on the stage of the Municipal Drama Theatre. His singing was accompanied by the outstanding Russian musician Sergey Rakhmaninov (1873-1943)

In the house across the theatre lived the famous Ukrainian poetess Lesia Ukrayinka (1871-1913) A bronze statue has been set up in her memory right in front of the house.

The final stop of the Embankment tour is the Oreanda hotel. Across from the hotel is a small public garden where the schooner Espanolahas been mounted. It has been built specially for the film about the sea-advantures.

Greater Alushta.

Alushta is an ancient town on the Crimea’s Southern Coast. Alushta inherited its name from the Byzantine fortress of Aluston, which was built here in the 6th century A.D. by order of the Byzantine emperor Justinian I (483-565) who also rebuilt the church of St. Sophia at Constantinople. In the present-day you can look round the remains of the Byzantine fortress, its defense tower and part of a wall. Alushta attracts tourists by its unusual climate, pleasant beaches and picturesque surroundings. Read more »

Stary Krym — «Old Crimea».

Stary Krym («Old Crimea») is a quiet, modest town in the Eastern Crimea, its history numbers not one millenium.

At the beginning of the 1st millenium there was a Taun settling Karia here, then it bore the name of Surkhat and in XIII-XV cc. — Solkhat. The last two names originally come from Armenian «surbkhach» that is «the holy cross».

At the end of the XV century the town was conquered by the Tatars and called Eski Krym (“Old Moat”). The  formation of the Crimean khanate with the capital in Bakhchisarai Eski Krym lost its former importance. After the annexation of the Crimea it was planned to make Stary Krym its capital and rename it Simferopol.

Stary Krym is situated at the foot of the Mount Agarmysh (“Whitish”) which is 724 meters above sea level. In summer the mount gets warm and creates an ascending airflow, which is conductive to formation of a cumulus cloud. The influence of the mount on the local climate is very favorable for treatment of lung patients. Read more »

Kerch.

There are several ancient cities on the territory of the Eastern Crimea, among them is Kerch.

The city has rich historical background and is considered to be an archeological reserve.

In the 6th century B.C.Greek colonists from Miletus founded a city-state named Panticapeum (“Fish Way”)on Mount Mithridat. Soon Panticapaeum became the capital of the Bosporan Kingdom.

During the rule of Mithradates VI Eupator(121 — 63 B.C.), Panticapaeum became the capital of much more powerful and extensive Kingdom of Pontus. The main city’s exports was salted fish, such as herring, mullet, anchovy, sprat, red mullet, sturgeon, flounder. There were many beautiful vineyards around the city, so the city’s exports was grain, vine and wine-making was also common here. Panticapaeum minted its own coins, it was cupper, silver and gold coins. Ethnically the city’s population was Scythian.

In ancient Panticapeum majestic buildings were set up on the Mithridates Mount.

The archeological excavations on Mithridates Mount discovered the monumental barrows with rich burials of slave-owning nobility of the Bosporan Kingdom well preserved in the vicinity. There are the Royalburials of the 4th century B.C. at Kul-Oba testifies (438 B.C.) . Read more »

Koktebel.

I greet you, in spring crucified,

My magnificent Koktebel!

Maximilian Voloshin

Koktebel… It sounds French, but originally it is a combination of three Turkic words: «kok» — blue, «tepe» -top, «el» — settling, land. Koktebel – it’s the “blue-top-settling”-land. It’s the land of the blue mountain peaks…

Nobody knows the year when Koktebel came into being. It is well known there was a Middle Age settlement here in the VIII century. The valleys around the mount Kara-Dag had been settled since that time.

At the beginning of the 1st century the legendary Cimmerians lived here, in the Middle Ages — the descendants of Tauri, Scythians mixed with the Bosphor peoples — Greeks, Sarmatians and Alans. In the 10th century the settlement was ruined by Pechenegs, nevertheless, life came back here soon.

A Crimean-Tatar village came into being here and at the beginning of the XIX century the people who came from Bulgaria settled in Koktebel. The settling was connected with Feodosia by a dusty earth road. Read more »

Пансионаты Евпатории.

В Евпатории поистине счастливое и редкое сочетание природных богатств – влажный приморский и умеренный степной климат весьма благоприятный, без резких колебаний температуры.  Среднегодовая температура воздуха равна +11,6С. Положительная черта климата – это невысокая среднегодовая относительная влажность воздуха – 78 %.

Евпаторию не зря называют городом солнца: здесь в году около 300 безоблачных дней, а количество солнечного сияния -2430 (сравните: в Ялте -2220ч., в Сочи – 2200ч., в Москве – 1580 ч., в Санкт-Петербурге – 1496 часов в год)

Неоценимы для здоровья бризы, они несут с моря на побережье массы чистого морского воздуха, богатого озоном и минеральными солями и умеряют жару.

Золотые пляжи Евпатории считаются одними из лучших в мире. Побережье Каламитского залива на протяжении десятков километров покрыто слоем мелкого и чистого песка. Read more »

Feodosia.

Feodosia (“Given by God”) is known from the 6th century. It was a settlement of the Tauri and was named Ardabda –“The town of the Seven Gods».

The Genoeses called it Kafa and the Turkish — ‘Kuchuk-lstanbul’ (“Small Istanbul”).

In 1783 after the annexation of Crimea the town got its original Greek name — Feodosia.

The Genoese consolidated their position in Feodosia in 1266. They built stone walls with 25 round towers which surrounded the city.

The Constantine Tower built in 1382-1445 has come down to the present time.

The arcature band and stone merlons of the Tower are very expressive. In the 17th century a stone bastion was attached to the Tower. The Genoese built a citadel on the coast of the bay where later a quarantine was established and several Armenian churches and Turkish baths were built.

The Armenian Church of St. Sergius was erected in the 14th century; its entrance was decorated with carved crosses on both sides. The walls are ornamented with delicate stone carving.

On August 16, 1820 Alexander Pushkin visited Feodosia and stayed with Governor of Feodosia S.M. Bronevsky, who established the first Crimean archeological museum. A grotto of the S.M.Bronevsky’s estate has been preserved, a structure with an arched entrance flanked by Doric columns. Read more… Read more »

The Crimean Cave Towns.

Not only the Khan’s Palace Museum attracts visitors to Bakhchisarai. No less popular are such historical monuments as Cave Towns. They were first mentioned in the written documents as far back as the 13-century. Their names are Kachi-Kalyon,   Eski Kermen,   Mangup  Bakla,   and Chufut- Kale.

The proper explanations to these astonishing monuments were made in the last century. The age of them is controversial. Some of them appeared in the 8 century — Kachi-Kalyon, Mangup in the 6th century, Eski-Kermen in the 5th century, and Bakla in the 4th century.The cave towns were first of all feudal castles and also medieval towns and monasteries situated in the natural fortresses — the table-like mounts with abrupt precipices.Kachi-Kalyon is situated in the valley of Kacha opposite the village of Bashtanovka. It appeared on the crossroads of trading ways and was known for its wine-presses. There were about 120 of them. More than 250 tons of grapes could be processed in them simultaneously. Pottery-making was highly developed too.

 

In the VIII -IX cc. a monastery sprang up there. The remains of it can be seen now. In 1778 the monastery ceased its functioning. In 1850’s St. Anastasia monastery appeared and existed up to 1921. The place is known for its spring with fresh sweet water. Opposite Kachi-Kalyon on the hill covered with forests a big graveyard is spread out. Probably, potters and smiths, cattle-breeders and carriers were buried there. Read more »

Все санатории — отдых и лечение.

 evp-s-kolesa-obozreniya

Долгие годы Евпатория оставалась маленьким уездным городом, но в конце 19 века благодаря мэру города Дувану С.Э, который смог привлечь инвестиции Российских предпринимателей в строительство нашего города. С.Э. Дуван прочил Евпатории — имея в виду её уникальные природно-климатические условия и наличие чудесных песчаных пляжей — большое курортное будущее, роль Всероссийской здравницы, “русской Ниццы”. Read more »

Bakhchisarai and the Assumption monastery.

Bakhchisarai is a district town situated in the picturesque valley of the Churuk-Su River 32 km from Simferopol. The territory of Bakhchisarai was settled 40,000 years ago. There are the rests of two settlings of the Early Paleolithic Age.

Bakhchisarai (“palace in a garden”) appeared in the 16th century when khan Khadji Ghirey transferred their capital from Eski-Kyrym (Stary Krym- “Old Crimea”) to a bank of the River Churuk-Su (“Fouling Water”) The narrow valley stimulated a picturesque lay-out of the city, which harmonized well with the lush greenery.

Streets ran parallel the river to the ensemble of structures of the khan’s palace, which became the city’s center. Several monuments of Crimean-Tartar architecture have been preserved in Bakhchisarai. Read more »

Полуостров Тарханкут.

Ветрами горячими крепко продут
За цепью соленых озер Тарханкут
Соленое море, холодные ветры,
Зимой тишина да набеги норд-веста,
Что гоняет по отмелям мерзлый песок
И бьют ледяною крупою в висок.
А. Милевский.

Тарханкутский полуостров — является самой западной точкой Крымского полуострова. С северо-запада и запада полуостров Тарханкут омывается волнами Чёрного моря, а с юга — водами озера Донузлав. Площадь Тарханкутского полуострова 1,5 тыс. кв. километров,  ширина полуострова — 52 км.

Вдоль морского побережья полуострова асфальтированных дорог нет, здесь, в основном, дороги грунтовые, каменистые, степные, где каждый прокладывает себе дорогу сам! Спуск к морю во многих местах затруднён из-за крутого и высокого берега. На территории полуострова находятся 34 населенных пункта, наиболее крупные из них —  Оленевка, Черноморск, Межводное, Марьино, Окуневка — здесь песчанные пляжи.  Население полуострова составляет примерно 32 тысячи человек.

На высоком скалистом берегу Тарханкута установлен маяк, который работает с давних времён. От Евпатории до полуострова Тарханкут около 100 километров, по хорошей автомобильной дороге. Из Евпатории в  Оленёвку ежедневно отправляются  четыре рейсовых автобуса, стоимость проезда 16 гривен.

[nggallery id=2]

Read more »

Ancient Chersonesus.

Ancient Chersonesus was the last Greek colony emerge on the north coast of the Black Sea: it was founded in 422 ВС. In the words of Cicero it Was like a border sewn on the barbarian lands.

Chersonesus (Peninsula), was so named for its location on a peninsula between two bays. The city existed for 2,000 years. Agriculture, construction, pottery-making, bone-carving, and some other crafts flourished in Chersonesus. Read more »

Balaclava.

Balaclava («Fish Nest») is a splendid and beautiful 3000 years old town situated in a small cozy bay. The sea coast of the bay were inhabited from the ancient times.

The ancient Greeks who settled here in 422 called it Syumbolon Limpe that is Harbour of Signs or Presage.

The Tauriset fire on the coast to attract the ships sailing by. The ships were robbed and the seafarers had to be sacrifices on Cape Phyolent in the temple of their goddess. It is believed that it was the port of lestrigones Lamosa.

In accordance with mythology the lestrigons were cannibals whom Odysseus and his fellows met during their voyage. Read more »

«Старое время» в бархатный сезон.

В сентябре этого года в Крыму состоится уникальное ралли на ретро-автомобилях «Бархатный сезон. Крым-2011». Организатор ралли –российская компанияпо реставрации и продаж подержанных автомобилей «Старое время» (Москва, Россия). Руководитель проекта Надежда Курило, рассказала, что в IV Международном фестивале «Старое Время» в Крыму будут участвовать около 30 автомобилей выпущенных до 1965 года с экипажами из Украины, России, Прибалтики и других стран Европы и один экипаж из США. Ралли стартует предположительно из Симферополя и пройдет по крымским городам — Евпатория, Севастополь, Ялта, Алушта, Феодосия, Керчь. Правительство Крыма оказывает всяческую помощь организаторам программы, которые сделают фестиваль действительно интересным и зрелищным.

Насладитесь отдыхом в Алуште в бархатный сезон.

Welcome to Evpatoria
Яндекс.Метрика Open Directory Project at dmoz.org