Posts Tagged ‘Eastern Crimea’

Kerch.

There are several ancient cities on the territory of the Eastern Crimea, among them is Kerch.

The city has rich historical background and is considered to be an archeological reserve.

In the 6th century B.C.Greek colonists from Miletus founded a city-state named Panticapeum (“Fish Way”)on Mount Mithridat. Soon Panticapaeum became the capital of the Bosporan Kingdom.

During the rule of Mithradates VI Eupator(121 — 63 B.C.), Panticapaeum became the capital of much more powerful and extensive Kingdom of Pontus. The main city’s exports was salted fish, such as herring, mullet, anchovy, sprat, red mullet, sturgeon, flounder. There were many beautiful vineyards around the city, so the city’s exports was grain, vine and wine-making was also common here. Panticapaeum minted its own coins, it was cupper, silver and gold coins. Ethnically the city’s population was Scythian.

In ancient Panticapeum majestic buildings were set up on the Mithridates Mount.

The archeological excavations on Mithridates Mount discovered the monumental barrows with rich burials of slave-owning nobility of the Bosporan Kingdom well preserved in the vicinity. There are the Royalburials of the 4th century B.C. at Kul-Oba testifies (438 B.C.) . (далее…)

Feodosia.

Feodosia (“Given by God”) is known from the 6th century. It was a settlement of the Tauri and was named Ardabda –“The town of the Seven Gods».

The Genoeses called it Kafa and the Turkish — ‘Kuchuk-lstanbul’ (“Small Istanbul”).

In 1783 after the annexation of Crimea the town got its original Greek name — Feodosia.

The Genoese consolidated their position in Feodosia in 1266. They built stone walls with 25 round towers which surrounded the city.

The Constantine Tower built in 1382-1445 has come down to the present time.

The arcature band and stone merlons of the Tower are very expressive. In the 17th century a stone bastion was attached to the Tower. The Genoese built a citadel on the coast of the bay where later a quarantine was established and several Armenian churches and Turkish baths were built.

The Armenian Church of St. Sergius was erected in the 14th century; its entrance was decorated with carved crosses on both sides. The walls are ornamented with delicate stone carving.

On August 16, 1820 Alexander Pushkin visited Feodosia and stayed with Governor of Feodosia S.M. Bronevsky, who established the first Crimean archeological museum. A grotto of the S.M.Bronevsky’s estate has been preserved, a structure with an arched entrance flanked by Doric columns. Read more… (далее…)

Welcome to Evpatoria
Яндекс.Метрика Open Directory Project at dmoz.org