Posts Tagged ‘history’

Evpatoria.

Evpatoria is situated on the Black Sea Coast of the Western Crimea. «Evpatris» translated as «born of the glorious Father», «noble. «

In the VI-V th century ВС ancient Greeks founded Kerkinitida near a bay and salt lakes.

In the IV century BC Kerkinitida was the province of Ancient Chersonesus — the last Greek colony in the Crimea.

In I -III centuries Kerkinitida became a province of the Eastern-Roman Empire.

From the IV century AD the Crimea exposed the raids of nomadic tribes of Gott, Huns, Pechenegs, Khazars, Polovets. From 500 to 1000 AD, Kirkinitida was a small settlement.

In 1475 (15th century) Ottoman Turks invaded the Crimea, from this time the Russian merchants in the Azov and Cafe were subjected to harassment. (далее…)

Kerkinitida – Gezlev — Evpatoria

viewAncient Greeks came in the 4th century BC from Miletus on their ships to the Crimean’s shore and built Kerkinitida – the most ancient name of Yevpatoriya.

In the 4th century BC Greeks from Miletus came on the shore of the modern territory of Yevpatoriya. Presumably, one of the leaders in the new settlement was someone called Karkin, after whom the settlement was named. The name was later changed to Kerkinitida. Hecataeus of Miletus, Herodotus, Pliny, and Mela mentioned Kerkinitida in their works. (далее…)

«SMALL Jerusalem» in Evpatoria.

rotonda8

On the territory of Russia Evpatoriya is one of the most ancient cities, with a history lasting more than 25 centuries.
Before Ancient Greeks from Miletus came to the Crimea in 4th century BC there were Scythians tribes raced across the Crimean’s steppe in 8th- 4th century BC. Scythians tribes left a lot of historical monuments called “kurgany” – Scythian graves.

What to see in Evpatoria?  There is a very interesting tourist route  «Mali Jerusalem» — «Little Jerusalem» in Evpatoria. (далее…)

Программа военно-исторической реконструкции Балаклавской битвы 25 октября 1854 года

17В программе военно-исторической реконструкции событий Крымской войны, 6 июля у поселка Первомайка, за Ялтинским кольцом, в районе Федюхиных высот будет разыгран эпизод Балаклавской битвы 1854 года.
14:00 – 14:10 — Первый этап реконструкции боя: «Захват английской артиллерии» (далее…)

Playground of the tsars

National Geographic Magazine: The Crimea is  the Best of the World 2013

«Russia needs its paradise,”  Prince Grigory Potemkin, Catherine the Great’s general, wrote in 1782 urging the annexation of Crimea, and no wonder.

The Crimean Peninsula, with its voluptuously curved Black Sea coast of sparkling cliffs, is paradise—with Riviera-grade vistas but without Riviera prices. Balmy with 300 days of sun a year (“It is never winter here,” said the writer Anton Chekhov, who had a dacha near Yalta), the place served as the playground of tsars and Politburo of  USSR. (далее…)

Первые Военные корреспонденты Крымской войны.

По своим грандиозным масштабам, ширине театра военных действий и количеству мобилизованных войск, Крымскую войну можно вполне сопоставить с мировой войной. Россия оборонялась на нескольких фронтах одновременно — в Крыму, на Кавказе, Свеаборге, Кронштадте, на Соловках и Камчатке. Фактически, Россия воевала в одиночку, не считая незначительных болгарских сил (3000 солдат) и греческого легиона  (800 человек).

Крымская война отличалась от любой другой войны тем, что изменились методы массовой информации. (далее…)

Рисунки Крымской войны Уильяма Симпсона

crimean-war-005Уильям Симпсон (Глазго 1823 — Лондон 1899) — шотландский художник , участник Крымской войны. Родился 28 октября 1823 года в Глазго в бедной семье. Симпсон впоследствии стал одним из ведущих художников своего времени, и нарисовал много картин со сценами событий Крымской войны для лондонского иллюстрированного издания — «Illustrated London News». (далее…)

Первый военный фоторепортёр Крымской войны — Роджер Фентон.

Роджер Фентона (Roger Fenton) родился 20 марта 1819 г., Кримбл-Холл, Ланкашир, в Англии. Его отец был банкиром и членом парламента. С раннего детства Рождер любил рисовать и, окончив школу, в 1838 году поступил в университетский колледж в Лондоне, где он изучал литературу, историю, право, логику, изобразительное искусство.
В 1840 году Роджер Фентон получил степень бакалавра искусств и стал художником. В 1842 году Фентон уехал в Париж изучать живопись в студии известного французского живописца Поля Делароша.
В 1843 году Фентон женился в Йоркшире на леди Грейс Элизабет Мейнард.
Вернувшись в 1847 году в Лондон, Роджер Фентон продолжал учиться живописи и сдружился с художником Чарльзем Люси. С 1850 года оба художника вошли в состав совета директоров Северо-Лондонской школы рисования и моделирования.
В 1849, 1850 и 1851 годах художественные работы Роджера Фентона выставлялись на ежегодных выставках Королевской академии.
Посетив в 1851 году выставку первых фотографий в Гайд-парке, Роджер был просто поражён огромными возможностями этого нового вида искусства. Для изучения техники изготовления фотографии и процесса вощения бумаги, изобретённой Гюставом ле Грее, он отправился в Париж. В 1852 году Фентон представил в Англии свои первые студийные фотографии. (далее…)

Songs and Poems of the Crimean War, 1854-1856

This is one of the many broadsides that circulated after FN achieved fame in the Crimean. A broadside was a song or poem printed on a sheet of paper and sold on the street for a very small sum, often about current events.
A poem from the famous English satirical magazine Punch published during the time of the Crimean War, 1854-1856, when Miss Florence Nightingale and her nurses were nursing English Soldiers for the first time in English history. Since this poem is 150 years old, the language, the punctuation, and the spelling may be unfamiliar; you may need to use a dictionary.
The Nightingale’s Song to the Sick Soldier

Listen, soldier, to the tale of the tender nightingale,
‘Tis a charm that soon will ease your wounds so cruel,
Singing medicine for your pain, in a sympathetic strain,
With a jug, jug, jug of lemonade or gruel.

 Read more… (далее…)

Glade of Fairy Tales and Zoo in Yalta.

There is a distinctive open-air museum — Glade of Fairy-Tales (“Polyana Skazok”) in Yalta. It was founded by folk artists Pavel Pavlovich Bezrukov in 1960 . The Glade of Fairy-Tales is situated at the foot of Stavry-Kaya cliff (“Cross cliff”) on the right bank of the Vodopadnaya Stream (“Waterfall stream”). There is a wonderful collection of wooden sculptures on fairy-tale theames.

It is an open air museum with a collection of 300 wooden sculptures, the personages of the popular Russian and Ukrainian fairy-tales, Crimean and Greek legends, many beloved cartoons heroes. They were made by 56 professional artists and skilled craftsmen from Yalta, Simferopol, Kiev, Moscow, Pervouralsk (Russia), Vilnus (Litvenia), Erevan (Armenia).  

You can see fantastical fairy-tale characters transformed from old stumps, logs or roots.

At the entrance thirty mighty heroes stand on guard defending the rest of the inhabitants of the glade.

A hut on the hen’s feet, a mermaid and a wood sprite, Ivan Tsarevich and the Grey Wolf, the Fire-bird, Baba-Yaga and Kashchey Immortal — these are the figures from Slavic fairy tales which you will meet in the Glade.

Lesoviki — little wood dwarfs — are under the branches of a Crimean oak whispering something to each other. They look funny and amusing! The cracked stump of an old horn-beam tree, gnarled roots and moss helped to make the head of a fairy-tale giant. What a funny Hedgehogs! They look as if they have been made of a whole piece of wood occasionally found in the forest. Listen to them and you will hear a lot of their secrets. (далее…)

Simeiz.

Simeiz (“Sign”) is located by the southern slopes of the main range of Crimean Mountains at the base of Mount Koshka, 18 kilometers (12 miles) west from Yalta.

There are prehistoric dolmens nearby; Simeiz (“Sign”) lies in the locality where at one time there were Tauri settlements and fortifications.

Their remains are to be found on the mount Koshka (“Cat-mount”)-it is the shape of the mountain resembles a sitting cat.

The height is 254 metres. On the mountain’s western slope lies the biggest Tauri necropolis on the Southern coast.

In the Middle Ages the area was under the control of the Byzantine Empire, which built a fortified monastery in the vicinity .

As the Byzantine power weakened, the area fell under the control of Genoa, which in its turn gave way to the Ottoman Empire; under the Ottomans the village was ruled from Mangup.

By 1778, with the departure of the Christian population, the village was depopulated.

The ruins of a monastery and fortified walls which stands on the seashore are seen near the Sail – Rock.

(далее…)

Oreanda. Gaspra. Koreiz.

Oreanda.

If you walk from Livadia palace along the «Sunny path” (former «Tsar’s path»)

a haif- rofunda. Below stretches a very old park in the midst of which lies the cluster of buildings of the Nizhnyaya Oreanda Sanatorium.

In the 1820s the Romanovs acquired Oreanda (“Border”) and in 1852 a luxurious palace was built here for the Grand Duke Constantine. But the palace was burnt down in 1882.

The park was laid out while the palace was being built; the contours of its small ponds reproduce

the outlines of the Sea of Azov, the Black, the Caspian and the Aral Seas.

On the elevation to the left of the sanatorium stands a grey church, which was built from the stones of the burnt down palace. This church is mentioned in Chekhov’s story «The Lady with the Dog».

(далее…)

Alupka.

Ай-Петри

The first written reference to Alupka dates back to the year 960 A.D. The name is supposed to derive from the Greek word «alepu» which means «a fox». The settlement is situated on the mountainous terrain and is unplanned. Homes were built along the mountain paths, which now are the streets. (далее…)

Miskhor -“Half Town”.

Miskhor (“Half Town”) is a resort situated between Yalta and Alupka

The first known inhabitants in these parts were the Tauri, then Romans built a fortress on Cape Ai-Todor.

In the Middle Ages the Romans withdrew from the Southern Coast and a monastery was founded by Fyodor Tyron on Cape Ai — Todor (“Saint Theodore”).

The Swallow’s Nest.     Read more… (далее…)

Koktebel.

I greet you, in spring crucified,

My magnificent Koktebel!

Maximilian Voloshin

Koktebel… It sounds French, but originally it is a combination of three Turkic words: «kok» — blue, «tepe» -top, «el» — settling, land. Koktebel – it’s the “blue-top-settling”-land. It’s the land of the blue mountain peaks…

Nobody knows the year when Koktebel came into being. It is well known there was a Middle Age settlement here in the VIII century. The valleys around the mount Kara-Dag had been settled since that time.

At the beginning of the 1st century the legendary Cimmerians lived here, in the Middle Ages — the descendants of Tauri, Scythians mixed with the Bosphor peoples — Greeks, Sarmatians and Alans. In the 10th century the settlement was ruined by Pechenegs, nevertheless, life came back here soon.

A Crimean-Tatar village came into being here and at the beginning of the XIX century the people who came from Bulgaria settled in Koktebel. The settling was connected with Feodosia by a dusty earth road. (далее…)

Feodosia.

Feodosia (“Given by God”) is known from the 6th century. It was a settlement of the Tauri and was named Ardabda –“The town of the Seven Gods».

The Genoeses called it Kafa and the Turkish — ‘Kuchuk-lstanbul’ (“Small Istanbul”).

In 1783 after the annexation of Crimea the town got its original Greek name — Feodosia.

The Genoese consolidated their position in Feodosia in 1266. They built stone walls with 25 round towers which surrounded the city.

The Constantine Tower built in 1382-1445 has come down to the present time.

The arcature band and stone merlons of the Tower are very expressive. In the 17th century a stone bastion was attached to the Tower. The Genoese built a citadel on the coast of the bay where later a quarantine was established and several Armenian churches and Turkish baths were built.

The Armenian Church of St. Sergius was erected in the 14th century; its entrance was decorated with carved crosses on both sides. The walls are ornamented with delicate stone carving.

On August 16, 1820 Alexander Pushkin visited Feodosia and stayed with Governor of Feodosia S.M. Bronevsky, who established the first Crimean archeological museum. A grotto of the S.M.Bronevsky’s estate has been preserved, a structure with an arched entrance flanked by Doric columns. Read more… (далее…)

Welcome to Evpatoria
Яндекс.Метрика Open Directory Project at dmoz.org