Posts Tagged ‘Museums’

XХI Международный фестиваль «День Исторического бульвара»

севаст-армейцы

7 июня в Севастополе состоялся марш-парад участников XХI Международного фестиваля «День Исторического бульвара», посвященном Дню города, в дни празднования 231-й годовщины основания города Русской Славы.
Парадным маршем по улицам Севастополя под моросящим дождиком прошли представители униформистских движений и 22 военно-исторических клубов Москвы, Санкт-Петербурга, Севастополя, Евпатории, Симферополя, Ялты, и один участник прибыл в Севастополь из Херсонской области Украины.

(далее…)

Evpatoria.

Evpatoria is situated on the Black Sea Coast of the Western Crimea. «Evpatris» translated as «born of the glorious Father», «noble. «

In the VI-V th century ВС ancient Greeks founded Kerkinitida near a bay and salt lakes.

In the IV century BC Kerkinitida was the province of Ancient Chersonesus — the last Greek colony in the Crimea.

In I -III centuries Kerkinitida became a province of the Eastern-Roman Empire.

From the IV century AD the Crimea exposed the raids of nomadic tribes of Gott, Huns, Pechenegs, Khazars, Polovets. From 500 to 1000 AD, Kirkinitida was a small settlement.

In 1475 (15th century) Ottoman Turks invaded the Crimea, from this time the Russian merchants in the Azov and Cafe were subjected to harassment. (далее…)

What to see in Evpatoria

museum-Mavr-style

Evpatoria is a city of museums.
Local History Museum in Evpatoria was created on February 1, 1921 in the former mansion of the merchant Y.M. Gelelovich, built in 1912 in the Moorish style.

The museum was established in 1921 in the former mansion of the merchant Gegelovych. The building was considered an important monument of architecture and urban development. Later in the same year the “Museum of antiques” was opened to the general public. (далее…)

«Звериный стиль» в коллекциях Эрмитажа

golden_deer_scythian_artВ древнегреческих, персидских и древнекитайских источниках сообщается о кочевых народах, проживающих в степных и лесостепных зонах от средней Азии до Алтая и от центральной Азии  до Прикаспийских степей, Приазовья и Причерноморья в 1 тысячелетии до н.э. (далее…)

Экскурсия в Феодосию.

Отдых в Крыму, замечателен тем, что остановившись на отдых в одном из городов Крыма, вы можете совершить однодневную экскурсию по достопримечательным местам  полуострова. Очень интересная экскурсия в древний город Феодосию.

Город Феодосия (Teo-Dosia — «Богом данная»), расположенный на юго-восточном побережье Крыма, основан выходцами из Греции в 6 веке до нашей эры, на месте поселения тавро, под названием Ардабда — «город семи богов».  Генуэзцы называли этот город Кафа, а турки — «Кучук-lstanbul» («Малый Стамбул»). (далее…)

Museums in Yalta.

The museums in Yalta are not numerous but they are very interesting.

One of them is Chekhov’s Museum, it is the house where the great Russian writer lived. Chekhov acquired a plot of land in Yalta in 1898. Chekhov’s house was built according to a project of Russian architect Leonid Shapovalov. It was a house with its mezzanine and side wing.Anton Pavlovich Chekhov lived and worked in this house from 1899 to 1904. He made a good plan for the garden around his house and he planted a lot of trees, bushes, flowers in his garden. There was a silence-corner with the small bench surrounded by lilac bushes and the stream with a small brige over it in Chekhov’s garden. As far as he fond of fishing and he planted bamboo for the fish-rod at the stream in his garden.

Anton Chekhov is “the Pushkin of prose”, spent his last years in Yalta. He worked a lot in his Yalta-house, here were written such a famous works as his story «Lady with Lapdog», the play «Three Sisters» and «The Cherry Orchard», the «Short story in the Ravine», the Stories «A New Summer Home», «The Bride».

When Chekhov was unwell, he worked in his bedroom, the living room also served as the dining room. Chekhov read his plays to the actors of Moscow Art theatre who visited him in Yalta.  

  The famous Russian writers Lev Tolstoy, Ivan Bunin, Maksim Gorky, Alexander Kuprin, Vladimir Korolenko, artist Isaak Levitan, the famouse Russian singer Feodor Chaliapin sang and Sergey Rachmaninov and Peter Chaykovskiy played the piano in Chekhov’s house.

Each year many tourists visit the Chekhov Museum. They come here to pay tribute to the writer and to get a feeling for the atmosphere surrounded Anton Chekhov. It’s very interesting to see the environment in which Chekhov lived during the last years of his life. (далее…)

The Alupka Palace

 P5010636_1 У-------The Alupka Palace is the main sight of the town. It was built for one of the richest landlords of Russia, the governor-general of the Novorossiysky Krai, Prince Mikhail Semyonovich Vorontsov.

The palatial ensemble embodies many typical features of the 16th century English Tudor castle.

SfNEPfnGl2Q

The palace was built according to a project by English architect Edward Blore (1789–1879)

The count incorporated many English architects into the work:F. Elson built the old House and the Tea House. F. Bauffod and T. Harrison were busy with the design. An important architectural characteristic of the Alupka palace was its relation to the nearby Crimean Mountains, with which it harmonized perfectly.

58

Stone walls, loophole windows and triangular buttresses give the palace the appearance of a medieval castle. But when you enter the front courtyard here you’ll see that the palace resembles nobleman’s country- seat. It is organically integrated into the surrounding landscape.Ай-Петри

The Alupka Palace is now an architectural and art museum. It contains the furnishings and art collections, which had been in the palace itself and the collections from other estates on the Southern coast of the Crimea. On the interior walls of the entrance hall is an inscription written in Arabic: «There is no Conqueror, except Allah.» (далее…)

Alupka.

Ай-Петри

The first written reference to Alupka dates back to the year 960 A.D. The name is supposed to derive from the Greek word «alepu» which means «a fox». The settlement is situated on the mountainous terrain and is unplanned. Homes were built along the mountain paths, which now are the streets. (далее…)

Massandra.

Massandra is situated 3 kilometers far to the East from Yalta.

The high hills of Nikita mountain pasture, the highest point of Mauntin Avinda is 1473 meters, protect Massandra from the cold air from the North and the southern winds bring the fresh breath of the Black sea. The Massandra park is one of the most beautiful parks of the Southern Coast. It was laid in the 1840 by the German horticulturist Kari Kebach, he was the founder of the Alupka park as well. The park was laid out by the serf labour of the peasants brought by Count Vorontsov from all the provinces of Russia. There are more than 200 tree and bush species grow in the Massandra park on its 40 hectares nowadays. The park was planned in the English style with curvilinear paths and picturesque groups of trees.

(далее…)

Yalta («Coast»)

Yalta («Coast») stretches along the coast of a sea bay on the slope of the Main Ridge of the Crimean Mountains. In ancient times the Greek settlement of Jalita existed on this territory. In the Middle Ages there was the Byzantine and Genoese settlement, they named it as Kaulita.

In 1837 it was turned into a district city which began to be developed according to the 1843 plan.

At the end of the 19th century Yalta has a rapid growth, and the development of valleys of the Derekoika and the Uchan-Su Rivers.

Now it is a significant resort and cultural centre whose boundaries widened thanks to multistory housing developments on the adjoining slopes. The city territory incorporates land from the mount Ayu-dag to the Sarych Cape.

Greater Yalta is a 70-km stretch of the South Crimean coast washed by the Black Sea. The mount Ayu-dag (“Mount Bear”) is a kind of signpost to Greater Yalta. Farther on the highway goes past Gurzuf, the Nikita Botanical Gardens and Massandra.

The resorts and sights of interest located to the west are Livadia, Oreanda, Gaspra, Koreiz, Miskhor, Alupka and Simeiz

A snow-white city lies inside the enormous shell formed by a semicircle of mountains. Yalta is beautiful in her mountain setting, she is open only to the sea and the sun.

The cypresses with cones like little bells have already become a symbol of the resort. Magnificent magnolia trees fill the air with their perfume… And the sea adds the finishing touch to all this beauty. Once you arrive in Yalta you will fall in love with it!

We suggest you begin your walking tour of Yalta with an itinerary that might be called Along the City’s Streets, that is from the Yalta Hotel to the Oreanda. Its length is about 3 kilometers.

The Yalta Hotel is situated near Massandra Park. Massandra Beach stretches from the Yalta

Hotel to the port. At the intersection of streets stands Primorskiy Hotel (“Sea-coast Hotel”), one of the oldest in Yalta.

From here you can walk down to the port, in the other direction a small street leads uphill from the Hotel to Polikur Hill. Here is where Yalta originated, witness is the very name Polikur (“Paleokhor”), which in Greek language means «Old Place». The Hill formerly bore the name of St. John.

Yalta is the only port on the Crimea’s southern shore which can safely shelter ships in a storm. The talented engineer A.Bertier — Delagarde supervised the construction of the Yalta mole in 1889-1892.

Near the port there is the Yuzhnaya Hotel (“Southern Hotel”) which stands on Roosevelt Street. It is the oldest street in the city and was given its present name in honour of the outstanding statesman US President Franklin Roosevelt (1882-1945), who visited Yalta in February 1945.

Yalta‘s main street is the Embankment. It is favorite avenue of holiday makers for their even strolls. The Embankment te lined with shops, cafes, and restaurants. There is the oldest Tavrida Hotel, that was built in 1875. The great Russian poet Nickolai Nekrasov lived in Tavrida Hotel in room 68. He wrote the part of his long poem «Who Can Be Happy in Russia?» in Yalta.

If you cross the Hotel Tavrida’s courtyard, you will find yourself next to the boarding platform for the cable-car line which leads to the top of Darsan Hill. There is the Mound of Glory, erected in memory of the fallen during the Civil and Great Patriotic Wars.

If you walk past it, you will again come out into the Embankment. Soon you will reach the quays where the pleasure boats dock. Here you can embark on an excursion to the towns of the Greater Yalta: Alupka, Miskhor, Simeiz…

Ahead lies the second half of the Embankment. The Municipal Park, which merges with it, was established in the 1880s. There is the monument to the great Russian writer Anton Chekhov near Municipal Drama Theatre.

In 1900 the Moscow Art Theatre gave tour performances. The members of the company came to show the sick Chekhov his play «The Seagull». Chekhov was presented with palm leaves tied with a red ribbon bearing the inscription «To Anton Chekhov, a perfect interpreter of Russian reality.»

The great Russian singer Fyodor Chaliapin (1873-1838) sang on the stage of the Municipal Drama Theatre. His singing was accompanied by the outstanding Russian musician Sergey Rakhmaninov (1873-1943)

In the house across the theatre lived the famous Ukrainian poetess Lesia Ukrayinka (1871-1913) A bronze statue has been set up in her memory right in front of the house.

The final stop of the Embankment tour is the Oreanda hotel. Across from the hotel is a small public garden where the schooner Espanolahas been mounted. It has been built specially for the film about the sea-advantures.

Stary Krym — «Old Crimea».

Stary Krym («Old Crimea») is a quiet, modest town in the Eastern Crimea, its history numbers not one millenium.

At the beginning of the 1st millenium there was a Taun settling Karia here, then it bore the name of Surkhat and in XIII-XV cc. — Solkhat. The last two names originally come from Armenian «surbkhach» that is «the holy cross».

At the end of the XV century the town was conquered by the Tatars and called Eski Krym (“Old Moat”). The  formation of the Crimean khanate with the capital in Bakhchisarai Eski Krym lost its former importance. After the annexation of the Crimea it was planned to make Stary Krym its capital and rename it Simferopol.

Stary Krym is situated at the foot of the Mount Agarmysh (“Whitish”) which is 724 meters above sea level. In summer the mount gets warm and creates an ascending airflow, which is conductive to formation of a cumulus cloud. The influence of the mount on the local climate is very favorable for treatment of lung patients. (далее…)

Koktebel.

I greet you, in spring crucified,

My magnificent Koktebel!

Maximilian Voloshin

Koktebel… It sounds French, but originally it is a combination of three Turkic words: «kok» — blue, «tepe» -top, «el» — settling, land. Koktebel – it’s the “blue-top-settling”-land. It’s the land of the blue mountain peaks…

Nobody knows the year when Koktebel came into being. It is well known there was a Middle Age settlement here in the VIII century. The valleys around the mount Kara-Dag had been settled since that time.

At the beginning of the 1st century the legendary Cimmerians lived here, in the Middle Ages — the descendants of Tauri, Scythians mixed with the Bosphor peoples — Greeks, Sarmatians and Alans. In the 10th century the settlement was ruined by Pechenegs, nevertheless, life came back here soon.

A Crimean-Tatar village came into being here and at the beginning of the XIX century the people who came from Bulgaria settled in Koktebel. The settling was connected with Feodosia by a dusty earth road. (далее…)

Feodosia.

Feodosia (“Given by God”) is known from the 6th century. It was a settlement of the Tauri and was named Ardabda –“The town of the Seven Gods».

The Genoeses called it Kafa and the Turkish — ‘Kuchuk-lstanbul’ (“Small Istanbul”).

In 1783 after the annexation of Crimea the town got its original Greek name — Feodosia.

The Genoese consolidated their position in Feodosia in 1266. They built stone walls with 25 round towers which surrounded the city.

The Constantine Tower built in 1382-1445 has come down to the present time.

The arcature band and stone merlons of the Tower are very expressive. In the 17th century a stone bastion was attached to the Tower. The Genoese built a citadel on the coast of the bay where later a quarantine was established and several Armenian churches and Turkish baths were built.

The Armenian Church of St. Sergius was erected in the 14th century; its entrance was decorated with carved crosses on both sides. The walls are ornamented with delicate stone carving.

On August 16, 1820 Alexander Pushkin visited Feodosia and stayed with Governor of Feodosia S.M. Bronevsky, who established the first Crimean archeological museum. A grotto of the S.M.Bronevsky’s estate has been preserved, a structure with an arched entrance flanked by Doric columns. Read more… (далее…)

Sevastopol – the port of the Black Sea Fleet.

Sevastopol (“a city worth of worship”, Glorious City) has a special administrative status, a large sea port and a naval base of the Ukrainian and Russian Fleets, industrial, scientific and cultural center of the South of Ukraine.

The territory of Sevastopol was settled at the beginning of the 1st millenium ВС. The rests of the fortifications of a Tauri settlement of the IX century ВС were discovered in the outskirts of Inkerman (Uch-Bash (Three Heads) height). There are some burial grounds in the valley of the river Chernaya (Black river). There were Tauri (VII century ВС) settlements near Balaclava.

Homer describes the Bay of Balaclava as a port of Lestrigons where Odysseus stayed. There are ruins of ancient city-colony of Chersonesus (Peninsula) between two bays now known as

Karantinnaya and Pesochnaya. By the 1st century Chersonesus had fallen to the Roman Empire. Cherson was chief Byzantine bastion in the Crimea.

In 988 warriors of Kievan Prince Vladimir besieged Chersonesus. The residents of Chersonesus were forced to surrender their town. In the 13th century, Byzantium — began to decline, in the 14th century Cherson was left in ruins…

In 1770s Balaclava Bay became a naval base for ships of the Azov battleship flotilla. In spring 1773 the commander of the flotilla vice-admiral O.N. Senyavin (1716-1797) ordered to investigate the Bay of Akhtiar-Ak-Yar (White Precipice). The bay was investigated by the navigator I. Baturin from the battleship «Modon» under command of lieutenant F.F. Ushakov (1745-1817), future famous naval commander.

The bays were highly estimated by the commander of Russian troops in the Crimea Alexander Suvorov(1730-1800) who ordered to build fortifications at the bays and made them secure against the enemy’s battleships.

On November 17, 1782 the first Russian frigates «Khrabry» and «Ostorozhny» entered the harbour of Akhtiar for the winter stay. On the northern side of the bay the naval depots

built the barracks — the first building in the city to be. On January 11, 1783 vice-admiral F. A. Klokachev was appointed to»… command the fleets created on the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov.» The ships under his command entered Akhtiar on May 2, 1783. There were only 17 of them but it was already the Black Sea Fleet.

The construction of the port was conducted under supervision of flag-officer lieutenant

D.N.Senyavin(1763-1831), famous fleet commander to be.

On June 3,1783 the first stone buildings were laid: the house for the admiral, a wharf, a smithy and a chapel. On July 2, 1783 the commander of the squadron F.F. Mekenzi reported to Peterbourgh about creation of the small Admiralty. In the construction of the town many of the civilians from Crimea and the central Provinces of Russia were employed.

On January 10, 1784 in the instructions of Catherine II to Prince G. A. Potemkin it was advised that a strong fortress with a port and a military settlement should be built on the site of the village of Akhtiar.

In 1790 rear-admiral F.F. Ushakov became Commander of the Black Sea Fleet. In 1824 the public garden, now Primorsky boulevard, was laid, later appeared Matrosky and Historical.

In 1834 the first monument of Sevastopol was set up in honour of the heroic feat of the brig «Mercury».

In 1871 on the initiative of M.M. Miklukho-Maklay the Sea Biological Station of the Academy of Sciences was opened. In Sevastopol the electric «candle» of P. N. Yablochkov was invented. A.S. Popov installed radio stations on the battleships.

The Crimean war proved the necessity of a strong fleet.

In 1883 in Sevastopol the iron c-clad battleships were built and seven years later the town was officially proclaimed a sea fortress.

The Black Sea Fleet was the first to beat off the air attacks of the German fascists. The defense of Sevastopol lasted 250 days. On May 9, 1944 Sevastopol was liberated by the armies of the 4th Ukrainian Front. Day and night the torches of Eternal Glory burn over the Hero-City of Sevastopol. Sapun Mount and Malakhov hill hold them highest.

Sevastopol is a busy city. It fishes in distant Atlantic and builds giant cranes, discovers the mysteries of the sea and raises new housing blocks…

Under the administrative authority of Sevastopol there are 2 settlements and 2 villages.

Verkhnesadovoye (Upper Garden) is a village situated in the valley of Belbek River at the Highway Simferopol — Sevastopol. It appeared in 1850s. In the vicinity of the village there is a Tauri burial ground. During the defence of Sevastopol 5 seamen of the Black Sea Fleet at the cost of their lives stopped the German tanks in November 1941. There is the Diorama dedicated to the heroic feat of the seamen. The farm center of Verkhnesadovoye specializes in vine growing and gardening.

Kacha is a settlement situated 23 km from Sevastopol at the Black Sea coast not far from the estuary of the River Kacha. The settlement was founded in 1912 when the first in Russia pilot school was transferred here. The school existed till 1941. Among its cadets were the famous pilots G.P. Baidukov (1928), S.P.Suprun (1931), P.D. Osipenko (1932), B.F. Safonov (1934) , A.I. Pokryshkin(1939), Amet-Khan Sultan (1940),- the military school of pilots being transferred to Volgograd still bears the proud name of Kacha, glorified by the famous aces.

The farmers of Kacha are engaged in vine-growing and the farm center winery.

Kamyshovaya Bukhta(Rushy Bay) is a settlement founded in 1952 in connection with the organization of the Azov-Black Sea base of fishing and fish-processing. It lies at the Black Sea coast 13-km from Sevastopol. Kamyshovaya Bukhta is a base of the fishing industry union «Atlantika» which includes: fishing fleet, sheep-repairing yard, fish cannery and sea fish port.

Orlinoye (Aquiline) is a village situated in the Baidar-Valley on the high way Sevastopol — Yalta 35 km afar from Sevastopol. The village came into being in connection with construction of the new high way. In the vicinity of the village there are 25 archeological monuments including the rests of settlings of the Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Ages. There are the ruins of a Christian monastery (X-XV cc.) and a feudal castle of the XII-XIV cc.

The farm centre of Orlinoye supplies Sevastopol and the resorts of the South Cost of the Crimea with milk, meat, vegetables and fruits. The farmers are also engaged in wheat and tobacco growing as well as in raising vegetables under glass.

Sevastopol at the Crimean War 1853 – 1856.

Sevastopol is a city of the wonderful destiny and history.

It was founded in 1783 as a new fortress and got the name of Sevastopol which in Greek means — “a city worth of worship”.

The city has justified its proud name; it has become a symbol of military valor and unexampled heroism. The Crimean War (October 1853 – February 1856) was a conflict fought between the Russian Empire and an alliance of the French, the British, the Ottoman Empire, and the Kingdom of Sardinia. (далее…)

The History of the Crimea till 1783.

 

The Crimea has a long and rich history. The most ancient mention of the Crimea in the world literature is that of Homer. The time of creation of his great poem dates back to the IX-VII cc. ВС. These lines from Homer’s «Odyssey» are well known in the historical literature:

«There lies the Cimmerians’ country covered by an eternally Wet fog and shadows of clouds; never shows To people his brilliant face Helios…»

The first written mention of the Crimea occurs in Herodotus (485 — 425 ВС) who visited Olbia in the V century ВС. The «Father of History» reports that » the Tauri tribe inhabits the mountainous country adjoining the sea and jutting out into the Pont as far as the Rocky Peninsula…»

This territory, called Taurica or Taurida, was occupied by the Tauri till the 1st century AD. They were farmers and fishermen, knew pottery and how to cast bronze. The Tauri’s main deity was the Maiden, who personified life.  Read more… (далее…)

Welcome to Evpatoria
Яндекс.Метрика Open Directory Project at dmoz.org